Portrait of Eduard, winner of the Tech Talent of the Year 2020

4 min read
Aug 26, 2021 1:42:00 PM

Portrait of Eduard, winner of the Tech Talent of the Year 2020

Last year, nexten.io awarded Eduard Gomoliako the Tech Talent of the Year award. During this very first edition, many developers tried to woo the jury with their innovative tech projects. Along with the pandemic making the competition even more challenging, it is ultimately Eduard who came through with a tech project mixing algorithms and machine learning. His goal? To build a system of systems that operates satellite constellations.

One year after the first edition of Tech Talent of the Year, nexten.io wanted to interview the winner about his experience in this contest. It’s the perfect opportunity to learn more about this seasoned developer’s background and experience.

nexten.io: Hi, Eduard, thank you for taking the time to chat with us! Can you tell us a bit about your feelings one year after the contest you won?

Eduard: It was a great experience, really. The only negative aspect was the COVID context, which prevented us from fully enjoying it. This kind of event normally gives you the chance to get together — to meet new people and create new professional projects. Nevertheless, I’ll long remember the numerous exchanges with the juries, which were very enriching, and which also pushed me even more to get involved in this competition. I must admit that I was very surprised when I learned that I had won this prize. I felt very honored and flattered by the jury. As for the repercussions, I had a lot of very interesting exchanges with experts in the sector via LinkedIn. I look forward to having these “virtual” discussions in person as soon as the pandemic permits.

nexten.io: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your professional career?

Eduard: I’ve been interested in computer programs since I was 11. At that time, I was creating video games all by myself! Curiosity pushed me to try to understand how computers work — the programs and code. At that time, we didn’t have such easy access to open-source projects on the Internet, so the means to learn to code were more rudimentary. Little by little, the web started to grow, and more and more experts were able to share their knowledge.

I think this approach to IT has shaped the way I work today. When clients explain their projects to me, I always try to take the necessary steps back to review all the possible solutions and offer them technical consultations that fit as close as possible to their needs. In fact, the part where we exchange and where they brief me on their expectations is probably the most important. First: understand the needs. Second: Apply the appropriate solution to meet those needs.

At present, I work at GomSpace, as a Software Architect. The space domain is very new to me! When I started my job, I had to learn quickly about the peculiarities and application of different technologies to this specific sector.

Tech Talent of the Year 2020

nexten.io: What soft skill do you think is most important to grow as a developer?

Eduard: Without hesitation, communication! In my opinion, developing this skill is essential. Every developer needs it to explain their project and its progress to a more or less informed public — but also to convince their audience and sometimes lead certain decisions. To effectively communicate, one must learn to understand others’ perceptions. It’s even more important in multicultural environments like we have in Luxembourg. Knowing how to communicate well requires a lot of practice, but it’s about admitting that this soft skill must be mastered. If I can offer but one piece of advice, it’s to work on your communication abilities and constantly seek to improve yourself as an individual. And always listen and try to understand the person in front of you.

nexten.io: What does a typical day look like for you?

Eduard: My day is divided into several tasks, and I also juggle several projects simultaneously. First of all, I have a whole part of customer relations to manage that includes exchanging with users and customers, following up, and presenting reports. In short, I make sure all their wishes are fulfilled or on track to be fulfilled. In parallel, I work with teams on the projects. Together, we define the solutions, break down the tasks to be done, create deadlines and budget estimates. Once the implementation is finished, we go on to review the code, thinking about what can be improved and what changes can be made.

nexten.io: We would like to hear your opinion on the recruitment market in Luxembourg. What can you tell us about it?

Eduard: I come from Russia, which is a very large country, and therefore has a larger number of seasoned developers on the market. Luxembourg, on the other hand, is a relatively small country, so the best candidates are fewer and far between.

Also the difference is that the candidates don’t put enough effort into learning the programming concepts in detail. Dive deep, guys, it’s fascinating!

Another point: I’ve noticed that candidates often have difficulty expressing themselves. That’s a pity since it can be a barrier to recruitment. Communication is definitely a skill that everyone should develop!

nexten.io: Which developers inspire you?

Eduard: Most of the developers who inspire me are old friends. They’re now scattered all over the world, from Russia through Europe to America. To answer your answer more precisely, I would mention Robert Martin aka Uncle Bob, Martin Fowler, and Kent Beck. They have done an infinite amount of work in popularizing software development and programming concepts to make them accessible and understandable to the professionals in the industry. They’ve done an incredible job.

nexten.io: What can you say in closing?

Eduard: I have to admit that I can’t wait for us to get together again! Whenever we can, let’s organize meetups, workshops, presentations, and sales pitches! Exchanging with our peers is one of the best learning levers we’ve got.

Logo

No Comments Yet

Let us know what you think